This afternoon, university and college students have occupied the main council chamber of Newcastle Civic Centre. This is in protest of the people who have been let down by the government. We are here for the people who have been let down by attacks on education, public services and the welfare state.
We are also taking this opportunity to urge Liberal Democrat councillors to lobby their MPs to vote against the rise in tuition fees on Thursday and to oppose the Higher and Further Education (Access) Bill 2010 – 11. We urge Liberal Democrat MPs to stand by their election pledges. By retracting these pledges they no longer have a mandate to govern.
In occupying Newcastle Civic Centre, we also wish to voice our concern over the cuts to all public services and the welfare state. Newcastle City Council will face a 7.25% real term loss each year as a result of the cuts, with 1000 people facing redundancy immanently, but rising to 2000 over the next 4 years.
We are occupying this building to give voice to the people let down by their government.
We have found our voice and we will not be silenced.
NOTES FOR EDITOR
- ·This is peaceful occupation
- Details of cuts to NCC: http://www.newcastle.gov.uk/
press.nsf/newsbyid/ 4F797776EDAC7974802577C9002710 AB?opendocument
- We have no intention of disrupting lectures or any other normal university activity – we are occupying to defend education therefore we want education to continue as normal.
- Our blog: http://ncluniocc.blogspot.com/
- Our email address: email@example.com
- Press contact: Gabe Mason 07502223773
- Twitter: http://twitter.com/